Lickings

Chaats and namkeens from over here.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

opp. Thane GPO (19)

Khandelwa's has perhaps the definitive collection of local munchies. "Snacks of the soil," if you will. (Definitely not to be confused with Khandelwal, the Gujju supermarket, whose Chembur branch is currently advertising aam ras and Spl. Palak Dhokla, both worth a try.) If it's Maharashtrian and fried and not Prahalad Kakkar it's there.

Next door is a little outlet called Kunj Vihar, which once upon a time enjoyed the totally inapt distinction of appearing on Wikipedia. Though the mention has been revised out of existence, it will always be the original jumbo. Not the Jumbo King, a mere pretender to the throne. I was late to Simon's already, but this seemed like an opportunity not to be missed

Upon exiting the station to Naupada I began inquiring after the sab se famous vada pav bhandar. And was steadily pointed in the right direction! It will be difficult to relate the freakishness of this experience to anyone who hasn't been white and approximately hinglophone in India.

Two hefty vadas (I would say 3-in., but forgot my ruler) on a double-long pav (an adha?) dosed with sweet chutney, topped with a slaw-like salad. All that for Rs. 8. I hated to eat and run, but if I had waited until after I ate I'd have been unable even to walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home